I wanted to change things up lately for what I have been eating namely my snack meals. Most days I need something portable to haul around with me while I am carting my boys here and there and can be eating cold if need be.
I wanted something that had a good amount of protein but it needed to be tasty and pleasurable for me to eat.
So I decided to take a frittata recipe I have made in the past and make it into muffins instead and these egg cups where born!
The recipe calls for 2 eggs and 9 egg whites but you could use all whites if you wanted to I am sure.
Quinoa, Kale & Egg Cups
1 cup of cooked quinoa (126g)
2 whole eggs
9 egg whites
1/2 cup light shredded cheese
1 clove of fresh garlic, minced
1/4 cup greek yogurt
I handful of kale chopped
Seasonings of choice (I used Mrs. Dash Spicy Blend and black pepper)
~ Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
~ Sauté the garlic and kale in a pan
~ Transfer the sautéed kale to a large bowl
~Add cooked quinoa, eggs, egg whites, cheese, greek yogurt and cooked kale stir it up!
~Add desired seasonings
~Scoop out into 12 muffin cups. I used silicon muffin cups as it makes it so MUCH easier to remove the muffins later!
~Bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
These turned out great! I love the texture and taste of them along with the heartyness! Plus they taste just fine cold as well! I paired two of the muffins with 1/2 an apple for a snack meal.
Healthy and clean eats to go! No excuses!
Since starting my new training plan I have had lots of questions about what I eat. Since my meal plan is something I purchase from Fitness Print I cannot share exactly what I eat and when but I am willing to share what my Clean Grocery List looks like!
When grocery shopping one way to think of it is to shop the perimeter of the store trying to avoid the processed food aisles in the middle. To answer many of the questions I get about healthy choices here’s what I do. I buy organic when I can (think the dirty dozen) and I usually buy groceries once or twice a week depending on what I need. I also go to Costco to buy our most used items in bulk like egg whites and lots of veggies! I will prep my meals for the week on Sunday and Wednesday. This works for me best since I am a stay at home Mom I am a little more flexible with my schedule.
Here are my staples:
- red peppers
- broccoli, green beans or asparagus
- yellow and red onions
- squash (usually spaghetti or butternut)
- Portobello or cremini mushrooms
- Sweet potatoes
- arugula or Kale
- baby spinach
- Gala or Fuji apples and Honey Crisp when in season!
- Berries (blackberries, blueberries and strawberries)
- lemons and limes
- chicken or turkey breast(s)
- Beef (we purchase grass fed beef from a local farmer)
- extra lean ground turkey
- white fish (like halibut or tilapia)
- Wild salmon
- Organic eggs (my favourite comes from the Farmer’s Market)
- egg whites in a carton
- unsweetened almond milk
- 0% Greek yogurt
- 1% cottage cheese
- Light cheese (such as Babybel or Allegro)
- one other stronger cheese like low fat feta, swiss or goat
In my pantry and fridge I always have:
- brown rice (varieties like brown basmati, brown jasmine)
- quinoa (black and red)
- brown rice or Whole Wheat pasta
- quinoa/amaranth pasta
- Mary’s brand gluten free crackers (super clean!)
- gluten free flours: brown rice, coconut, arrowroot, and almond
- legumes (chickpeas,lentils and black beans)
- stevia (liquid and powder, plain and vanilla)
- Coconut sugar
- Vanilla Extract (the good stuff not artificial!)
- Cinnamon (love it!!)
- raw cacao or coco powder
- cacao nibs
- raw nuts: almonds, cashews, walnuts, and pecans
- chia seeds
- ground flax seeds
- hemp hearts
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- natural almond and peanut butters (in the fridge once opened!)
- unsweetened applesauce
- sugar free low sodium tomato sauce
- sodium free diced tomatoes (preferably BPA free can)
- sodium free/fat free chicken broth
- a MILLION herbs and spices!
- Vinegars: apple cider, balsamic and red wine
- Hot sauces (love them all kinds!)
- coconut oil and coconut butter
- olive oil
- different mustards (sugar free)
- fresh garlic
- coffee, green tea and lots and lots of herbal teas! (DavidsTea is my fav!)